Monday 16 February 2009

Who Watches The Watchmen?

So, I bought the graphic novel The Watchmen yesterday. I bought it for a fairly reasonable price of £12 from HMV. Well, I think it was reasonable anyway! I have to say I am really enjoying it! I've never really read a proper graphic novel. I've read comics and stuff, which is kind of the same. I am loving it though! It's engaging, it's clever, it's intelligent, it's just bloody fantastic.

I'm trying to savour it by reading it a bit at a time, although I get the feeling that it's one of those novels that you can reread without them getting old at all. So yes, The Watchmen may well become one of my favourite reads.

My favourite character has to be Rorschach. I can't really tell you why, to be honest. He just seems devoid of any real emotions, particularly self pity, but at the same time politically aware. I don't really know how to explain it. I think I would like to be able to walk in his shoes sometimes, to be free of the shackles that come with a conscious. But then again he has one. This is confusing.

Rorschach:

Rorschach Pictures, Images and Photos

His mask is like the Rorschach test. But Wikipedia can explain him much better than I can.

Dr. Manhattan is pretty cool too.

Dr. Manhattan Pictures, Images and Photos

This is him in the film, which I am pretty darned psyched for by the way!

1 comment:

Jazz said...

I want to read it now...
That is all.
And I'm going to look up the Rorschach test as well. :)