Thursday 18 June 2009

The end is nigh...

So, I have my last exam today! I guess that means as of 4:00pm I will be free. Free as a bird! It's sad but exciting at the same time. I really cannot wait to go to university, be it Hull or Plymouth. I just want to get away. I will miss my parents, as much as I moan about them, but it will be good to be away from the arguing and the drinking.

Anyhow, the real reason for this post was to share some writing. I've been clearing out my folders on the college network and I found my creative writing folder.

So here goes:

I crave silence.
A sort of clean and weightless silence, like water.
The noise seems heavy. Oppressive. Daunting.
It drags at my fingertips and sleeps in my eyelashes.
The silence between you and me
A wool blanket of fear and discomfort.
Like wading through custard at your daughter’s birthday party.
Laughing.

A kiss
Like something that was lost, found.
I would like to hold it between my hands and
Never let it go. But like smoke it curls up through my fingers, breathing in, nestles in my lungs. A cat in a cage.


xxxxxxxx

Dripping away, sludge-like,
Murderous. A mistake?
Or something more profound.
A circle loaded with promises,
A decision ripped out of my hands.
My body softens, contracts, expels,
Painful only for a day (or two, or three)
Or a lifetime.
Crying. Crying like a –
Baby?
Oh God. Oh God.
The only word I utter is stillborn, a passing,
An exit. My way out.

Sorry.


xxxxx

A tentative touch of your hand brings burning flames
To my cheeks but douses the one in my heart. Ice
in the smoky recesses curls around my trachea.
Choking me. I’m trying to picture you stealing what’s mine
with one ragged intake of breath. It whistles through your teeth
And paints a picture far more apt than the illusion.
Animalistic. Masochistic. Bliss.

Epileptic shivering haunts my hands, reaching for you was never
Easy. Drives me insane to know that she was never in your heart, hung
brutally on your bedpost with a daisy chain of words. Me too.
I never did enjoy the novel you seared into my skin. The ending –
Too tragic and unlucky for liquorice love.

The breath from your lips and the promise from your fingertips
waits for no man.
Unsteady on my wooden feet, submerged in time.
Wade through the salt water that pours from your drowned lungs.
It’s just me and you now, babe. In a dance that doesn’t make much sense
but drives me to this whirlwind finish clutching a thread on your unravelling heart.

No comments: