Wednesday 12 September 2007

I'm Starting A Campaign

A revolutionary campaign that will change the world! It shall be a campaign against bad grammar, bad spelling, bad punctuation, just bad writing full stop. I'm sick of people being lazy and shortening every other word just because it's too much of a strain on their poor little stumps to stretch to a couple more letters on the keyboard.

Observe. Stupid, lazy people type like this:

Lyk omg!11 2dy I wnt 2 c mi bf nd e ws sngging anthr boi!

I must say I found that extremely difficult to type. Wouldn't it be ten times easier to type the right spelling of things? The word at least. 'Mi' for some reason used instead of 'my'. Why is that? The letter 'I' is one key away from the letter 'Y', what's so difficult about tapping the right one? It's the same with 'boi' and do not get me started on the substitution of the exclamation mark for a 1. It makes no sense to me and it never will. All it takes is for you to press the SHIFT key and Eureka! an exclamation mark. But no, that would be way too easy.

Why are you people desecrating our language? Personally, I think we have a lovely, flowing language when it's used in the right way. In an elegant way, like it used to be. We at least owe it some of it's former glory.

So, before you type that '2' instead of 'to', before you shorten words to insanely unreadable cods- wallop. Ask yourself:
Would my grandma/granddad/resident old person understand this?

If the answer is no then retype, rethink, rephrase. Do something to make it easier to read, easier to understand. I can guarantee people will listen to you a lot more, simply because they understand you a bit better.

If you made it this far, I thank you sincerely and if you didn't well you're not reading any more so it doesn't matter!!

Goodbye!

2 comments:

Jazz said...

I agree. Totally. I find it so annoying. I remember when I first joined TKN (as it was back in '05) and one of the rules was: NO TEXTSPEAK. @ first, I was all, "WTF?" but now it makes so much sense. I actually get a little pissed off when someone posts something on the board and it's like your example. The mods were right. It does make your eyes bleed.
Anyway. Fantastic, as always.
I'll be seeing you tomorrow!
x x x

Jazz said...

Just thought you'd like this. Shows we're all in the same no textspeak boat! It's on TKC, so you'll have to log in to get to it.
Once again... no textspeak please...